While Twitter and Facebook may be more directly useful for reaching a larger customer base, LinkedIn is the social network of choice for professional connections. However, it can also be beneficial for building your overall social media profile and increasing your web presence so that new and existing customers can engage with your business in a variety of ways.
Why should you join LinkedIn?
Many people believe that their personal LinkedIn profile may not be helpful in increasing sales or enhancing the online presence of their business. But any social media tool is only as good as the effort you put into it, and LinkedIn is no exception. So in addition to personal profiles, you should create a LinkedIn page for your company. Both personal and company profiles offer the following benefits:
- Networking - Reach out to other industry players and complementary businesses to build your profile in the industry.
- Improving search engine optimization (SEO) - Keyword-rich content and links to your company website and blog can help increase your organic search rankings.
- Building credibility - A well-crafted LinkedIn profile demonstrates your expertise and depth of experience in your industry.
- Expanding your reach - LinkedIn allows you to build your social media profile both vertically (within your industry) and horizontally (across contacts of all types).
How to create a LinkedIn profile
A LinkedIn social media profile is free and relatively easy to create. To create a page for your company, you must have at least one employee with a LinkedIn profile.
- Go to the Companies page and click Add a Company.
- Enter the company name and your email address at the company.
- Follow the instructions in the confirmation email, and your profile will be activated.
Fill in as many profile details as you can, including a Twitter handle, company logo, description of your products and services and links to all employees who have a LinkedIn profile. You can also create advertising campaigns to build your network and gain more followers.